Tuesday, April 24, 2007

the retreat

and even now you just look so old to me
it's hard to believe your time is almost spent
but it's okay i guess
by the end of the day
there is little left to do but rest

you were the last of the wolfpack
that once roamed these woods
bloodthirsty
but now the full moon's last call
is beckoning you over the horizon
leaving me to explore these woods for myself

but we've always sang this song
for every scarlet sunset
for every open casket
we pushed out to sea
in hopes it will carry with it our most sacred memories

so i hope when the time comes
the fire wont be too high to leap over
and my sorry sunken eyes will tell you how much it meant to me
behind every candle's glow

but i'm glad you hear the music from all the way downstairs
cause i played this one just for you
it's not a goodbye, just a postponement of time
but it's strong enough to feel
the turning of the tide

so rest softly, my prince
and let me whisper my farewells
and remember
the sweetest dreams are procured from our fondest memories
i am confident your answers will come to you in your sleep
do not hesitate to lay down your weary body
for it's time for me to finish what you've started
until it is my turn to make my last strides through these streets
until it is my turn to lay down my body, to retreat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home